What to eat for your pre-workout meal? The question we keep asking ourselves before hitting the gym! Dear coach Duaa from Drip shared some useful tips with me for my blog readers 😉
1. Consume your meal 3 hours before your workout.
2. Fuel your workouts and muscle glycogen storage by consuming carbohydrates! (List of items mentioned below)
Rule: don’t eat more than you need and more than your muscle can hold to as glycogen, or else, it will be converted into stored fat!
3. In addition to having your pre-workout carbohydrates, consume fast-absorbing proteins. (List of items mentioned below)
The same rule mentioned above applies here: everything that you consume more than your body can use will be converted to fat! So be cautious of your portion sizes.
4. Eating your meal 3 hours prior to your workout gives your body time to digest and to stabilize your blood sugar level. Meaning, your body will be in a semi fasting state, but will still have enough energy and fuel in the muscles that is ready to be exhausted during your workout.
Tip: This state is perfect because it prepares the body for a killer workout, stores enough energy for you to reach your peak performance, and is still able to burn fat!
Suggestions on meals that you can consume:
Choices for carbohydrate sources:
- Brown rice
- Whole grain oats
- Sweet potato
- Whole wheat pasta
- Whole grain bread
- Small portion of dates (3-4)
Choices for Fast-Absorbing Protein sources:
- Whey protein
- Chicken breast
- Egg whites
- Tuna (in water)